Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back 2 School



This is where I will be spending my Tuesdays and Thursdays until December! I get to work with the school counselor and teach kids how to get along, be polite, get good grades, cope with life and other fun stuff. It's a private elementary school grades Pre K-8th. The kids are all really cute in their little uniforms and they are all really polite. Here are some major highlights from my day
1. School is a sad place. The teachers and adults are so mean to the kids. "Be Quiet!, Get back in line!!! Don't touch anyone!!! Say Please" I even heard one of the teachers rudely say "Be Polite!!" If adults talked to each other like this we'd all be punching each other.
2. The teachers lounge isn't as cool as I always imagined it to be. I distinctly remember the faculty lounge being a mysterious place where children weren't allowed. Today I was sad when I realized it's just a room with tables and a fridge. What a let down.
3. School counseling is the perfect job for me! I'm really excited to work as a counselor some day. The counselor gets to be the nice person in the school. I'll never have to yell, I have fun games in my office to help kids relax and I get to be the friend that the kids can trust.
I'll be sure to keep you posted on what other great things I learn while living in the elementary world.

4 comments:

Amy said...

What I would have given to have you as my school counselor. You'll be awesome. Working at and Elementary should be pretty fun.. but yeah, stay out of the faculty lounge where nothing but bad gossip turns up. Maybe someday we'll end up at the same school?!

Wes and Lindsey Cardall said...

You're going to be one of those nice, fun counselors who everyone wants to go talk to :) I would have loved to have you as my counselor too!

Anonymous said...

I had that same let down about the teachers' lounge when subbing. I'm positive you are right about the perks of being a counselor, the seretary is not as glamorous. You will be so great.

Karla said...

Yea an update!! Do the teachers wear uniforms?